Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Homing Pigeons

Round white clouds roll slowly above the housetops,
Over the clear red roofs they flow and pass.
A flock of pigeons rises with blue wings flashing,
Rises with whistle of wings, hovers an instant,
And settles slowly again on the tarnished grass.

Conrad Aiken
The House Of Dust: Part 02: 05: Retrospect


Before, when I saw a flock of pigeons dodging and darting in the shallow skies of San Fernando Valley neighborhoods, I thought, "Those might be Andy's pigeons."

Today, when that familiar rustling and slapping breaks up the murmur of traffic, and I look up to see a many colored flock, I wince. I fear that habitual thought might pop up and I'll again have to admit that they are not his pigeons; that he no longer keeps birds.

But in my daytime dreaming, these are the birds he set free this morning and they're only looking for a reason to circle back home.

3 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's amazing, isn't it, what God uses to remind us of things? On the day of Andy's funeral I saw a pigeon sitting on a sign and I was reminded of Andy's love for those birds. He took such care of and such pride in those little animals, no matter how dirty or beat up they were. It reminds me of how God cared for Andy no matter how dirty or beat up he got. I wonder what Andy's job is in heaven. Maybe he's in charge of the pigeons.
"His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me."

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger auntibeck said...

And they always come home...lovely reminder Chind.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger DianeHGA said...

I didn't know how much Andy loved his pigeons. Thank you for sharing this. I regret so much that I never visited Bob, Judy, Robby, and Andy at their home in California while the boys were still young. When I see pigeons flying in my neighborhood, I will also remember Andy and feel happy for Andy that he is also soaring wild and free from the troubles, worries, and fears of this life on earth.
Aunt Diane GA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home